Regulations Governing Graduation
For additional information, please refer to Credit Hour Requirements (Undergraduates).
Credit Hour Requirement
For more information about Credit Hour Requirements, please consult Nebraska State College System, Board Policy 4140.
- Students must earn a minimum of 120 semester credit hours, of which 40 credit hours must be in 300 or 400 (junior or senior) level courses, to meet the requirements for all baccalaureate degrees.
- Students are required to use a catalog of the year they enrolled or a subsequent catalog. Students may not graduate under the provisions of a catalog issued more than five years prior to the end of the semester in which they expect to complete their work, unless they have been in military service or have earned college credit in residence at Chadron during each calendar year since beginning the program of study.
- For the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree, students must complete either (1) a comprehensive major of 48 to 57 credits, or (2) a subject major of 30 to 36 credits and a minor of 18 to 21 credits.
- Students who do not transfer in an Associate’s degree that has a minimum of 30 hours of general studies coursework, must complete all Essential Studies courses as listed in the catalog. Transfer guides indicate courses from other institutions that may satisfy individual Essential Studies course requirements. Depending on the program of study, Essential Studies requirements may vary. Consult your academic advisor or your degree audit in your MyCSC.
- Essential Studies are required for all students earning their first bachelor’s degree with the exception of the Bachelor of Applies Sciences (BAS) degree. BAS degree students are required to take Essential Studies SLO #2-SLO: #11.
- No more than 66 credit hours may be transferred or applied towards a bachelor's degree from accredited 2-year colleges.
- Unlimited credit hours may be transferred from regionally accredited four-year colleges, although individual programs may have restrictions and the student must meet other graduation requirements.
- A minimum completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit earned from Chadron State College is required for each bachelor's degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.00 must be maintained to be in good academic standing. This grade point average is required for Bachelor of Applied Science, Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 must be maintained for a Bachelor of Science in Education degree. Some programs have specific grade point averages. See specific programs for additional information.
- Graduation with Academic Honors requires completion of at least 45 hours from Chadron State College by the end of the first 8-week session of the semester in which graduation occurs.
- Those attaining high grade point averages will be cited as follows:
- 3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude
- 3.75 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
- 3.60 - 3.74 Cum Laude
- Graduate students and students receiving a second Bachelor's Degree are not eligible for honors recognition